Friday, June 23, 2006

posting from CO

We've been in Colorado for about a week and its lovely. The family seems to be suffering from mass exhaustion probably brought on by talking about ourselves for 3 hours in the morning and then another 4 in the afternoon. A 7 hour day of talking about yourself can be pretty exhausting. Oh, add to that eating. There's a sign up sheet that people can invite us to dinner and we seem to be a pretty hot ticket. So yeah, we're eating and talking about ourselves. Nice...

@ seems to be plodding through the week; actually I think we're dragging him along. Nursery about kills him. I think its just too much fun for him. Today he came back to the house with the family we are staying with and Jonathan and I went to lunch. He crashed about 2:00 and we haven't heard from him yet. We keep thinking he'll get caught up on his sleep but so far nothing has happened. Its hard to watch him struggle through so much and know that really it only gets worse from here. We're off to Asia in less than a week and I'm not hopeful that a 15 hr. flight will give him a restful sleep. We're probably stunting his growth bby depriving him of sleep so much.

Its been good to be busy this week because I haven't had the time to think about the coming travel so much.

Reading Zen and the Art of Motorcylce Maintenance this week. Loving this book. The idea of Chautauqua's are lovely to me. Terrific definition: "an old time series of popluar talks intended to edify and entertain, improve the mind and bring culture and enlightenment to the ears and mind of the hearer." Yes, that is just it for me. When I was growing up we had a Chautauqua building in the middle of the park. It was mammoth, partly because that I was 6, and mysterious, because I was 6. But it was a 12 sided white board building. I was fascinated by it; still am. But I don't remember anything really going on inside the building except the yearly haunted house, which added to the mystery. Now I wish there were Chautauqua's, great times of thinking and speaking. That would be lovely. Anyway I'm enjoying the book.

2 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

yeah, I'm not sure how you can "normalize" life for a little one when you have the life of a missionary....the good news is that in His wisdom, God made kids really resilient!

Ours are only a little damaged from our lifestyle.....

We're going to miss you guys on the 4th of July....the Cincinnati Moores are coming to town for several days of chaos!

Steph H. said...

Josh and I co-read "Zen and the Art . . ." a few years ago. We liked it. Actually, we "heard" it on books-on-tape as we were falling sleep each night for a few weeks. Nice.