Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cultural illiteracy

We went to a Santa Breakfast with @ yesterday. It was really nice but it reminded me again that I don't know some things about the US. There was a Cake Walk. Jonathan had to do it with @ because I couldn't understand the rules. I guess when the music stops the kids take a number and when their number is called they leave the circle and get a sweet. Nice but I didn't think that sounded right. Have I never been in a Cake Walk?

This show "A Christmas Story" is apparently a family tradition with some people. It has a following and people invest in it's memorabilia. I didn't know this show existed until I saw a report about the guy who bought the house it was filmed in. Apparently this guy is so devoted to the movie that he bought the house, renovated back to what it looked like in the film, and opened a tour house that people flock to. Then yesterday I saw some stuff in Target or Wal-Mart that had scenes from this movie in it. Where have I been that I've never seen or heard of this movie?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rhea ~
for real?! you have never been in a cake walk??!! did you ever have a fall festival at any school you ever attended? :) and the christmas story -- you have honestly never heard of that either. it is not my favorite in any shape or form -- but you've never heard of it. unbelievable! fortunately, you are not the most culturally illiterate person i know. i actually met someone had never heard of the hokey pokey. (please tell me you have!!) i miss your guts and am so glad to reconnect.
love and prayers~
lee lee