Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Brownie Throw Down

I like brownies. And they don't need to be fancy brownies. That .99cent box brownie is fine by me if you make it with the fudgie recipe. Much prefer fudgie to cake brownies. Problem is I don't have a box brownie that I can buy here. Actually that isn't entirely true, there is something purporting to be a brownie but it makes overcooked cake brownies look fudgie.

So I've been on something of a hunt over the years to find a fudgie brownie recipe that I could make from scratch and find all of the ingredients here locally. And that last bit is the catch, ingredients I can find here. I can find chocolate chips but not easily. I can only find them in SL3 and I'm not there to visit often enough to keep an adequate stash of chips on hand. I don't know how often I may need brownies. Problem is that in the blogosphere everyone thinks they have the right recipe.

I've been looking through some brownies for a while and trying them rather haphazardly. Over the next few weeks we're going to waiting out a rather stressful ultimatum to get our visa, we have a guest arriving, and I have neighbors that I think need to experience a good brownie. Ultimately the winning variety maybe the gift for neighbors observing the fast.

Annie's Eats- Chewy, Fudge Triple Brownies

Smitten Kitchen- Classic Brownies

101 Cookbooks Moosewood Brownies- these are the ones I'm most doubtful of. I love moosewood but they're not the people you go too if you want decadent, begging for diabetes, chocolate city brownies. They're who you talk to for the most amazing bean salad or veg dish. We'll see though.

All Recipes Fudgy Brownies

This is what I'm going to start with trying. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

ChrisMc said...

Can you get cocoa powder? I have a recipe from my mom that I think has that as the main chocolate. I'll dig it out and email you the recipe.

chris