Monday, November 02, 2009

adding to the mayhem

Its been a bit of a day and its not quite noon yet. Feel free to skip because really this is a long winded sigh...

The electricity has been spotty in the kitchen for a day or two. A friend clued us into the possibility that its probably just the circuit that is dead- not the wiring for the house going bad as I had feared. After snap, crackling and popping at me this morning after Jonathan had gone to class, I shut off the electric to the whole house- when in doubt, better not to burn down the house. Jonathan came home from work today, he found an electric shop open, bought a new circuit and got it installed. So far, so good, the electricity is staying on and there is no more snap, crackle, pop. That's good, because it is wicked hot and the fan is doing its best but still its just blowing around warm air.

On another front, realization has been setting in that @ and I don't have paperwork from Immigration and our last extension expires tomorrow. Probably that means something should be done. Thing is we are waiting on the national level office to click 3 things for each of us in the computer before the local office can complete our visas. Its been like 10 or 12 days and they haven't done it so I'm not counting on them finishing before tomorrow when our extension keeping us legal, expires. So I got out to the local office to see what needs to be done. I tell them that we aren't clicked yet but my extension expires tomorrow. Funny thing, they are in a quandry too. There is no procedure or rule for this kind of thing. So they check the computer, just to double check our statuses, not that they don't believe me, just they too are hoping against hope. Well it seems that sometime in the last hour the national office did a little work- I have my clicks from the national office, now I'm just waiting on one click from an office across town. So they give me the phone number and name of that guy in the office across town- this shouldn't be a problem they say. Then they check @'s status from the national office. Seems the national office quit work after all that hard work clicking my name and they haven't done anything for the 5yr old. So the question remains, but now its taken on a real element of the ridiculous, tomorrow does the 5 yr old need to leave the country alone because he doesn't have his paperwork/clicks from the national office? Should we petition the justice dept for another extension for the 5yr old? Because we are out of extension technically according to the immigration office, we would now have to ask justice for special permission to extend longer. Do you see how ridiculous this is? After only 10 months this is how far we've come...
SIGH...

Good news: I have a houseworker who makes this awesome crazy addictive fried chicken. I was smart enough to have her make it while Jon was doing electric and I was doing immigration. Very good decision on my part.

1 comment:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Sigh...after dealing with adoption paperwork, I think I can feel a little of your frustration....