Monday, January 25, 2010

going on a road trip

After 10 years of marriage, we are going on our first truly free form road trip. Jonathan likes the idea of them but it doesn't always work out so well for him. But we've gotten comfortable enough with all things local here that we can pretty well take it where we want. We have a rough sketch of where we are going. Haven't made reservations because we can't find information for the places that we've been told are there. So we're going to take it as it comes. The idea is that we will spend a day or so on the south coast seeing what is there. Apparently that won't include a lot of ocean swimming as the rip on the south coast can be pretty awesome. So wading and rock walking are the plan. Really I think if we are going to take a child to the south coast, 5yrs old seems like the perfect time, before he is old enough to think he really can swim against awesome rip and before he believes he can surf. We're also thinking on trying to find a cave where they play music with the stalagtites and stalagmites. Don't get mad at me, they've been doing it for centuries, wether or not I come and see it. So we thought we should go and see it. The colors are supposed to be amazing too.

So we're going south and it really is as free form as it gets around here. That being said. I have checked the maps. In fact I have a bag of maps. And I know what you are thinking, "if you have a map that isn't a free form road trip, rhea". Not true. When we're in the states we don't need maps, there are signs and the reasonable assurance that if you get your mini-van up a hill there will be a road down on the other side. That isn't true hill. Roads do suddenly terminate into bamboo foot bridges over rivers. And its a road that you were getting your minivan down just fine 2 seconds ago. Roads do go up a hill with no way to turn around or get down the other side. This has happened to me now on two continents. Backing uphill 100 yards isn't easy kids. So I have maps to try to keep on roads that stay roads.

Inadvertently over the years I have developed my road trip clothes. Its a uniform good for all weather conditions in equatorial regions. Longish flowy cotton capris, tank top, over shirt, hiking sandals. Its hot but if we get out of the car and stop at a temple and they won't let me in because I'm in a tank top and my shoulders or knees might tempt away the faithful holy masses, well I have an overshirt and flowy capri pants. I don't recommend trotting around the world in the Nike sports tank that the girls on Amazing Race always seem to embrace. It isn't the best way to make friends and influence people in more traditional countries. The overshirt and capri pants is a nod to cultural respect and thus walking through centuries old temples.

So here's to free form road trips

No comments: