Thursday, July 24, 2014

For the love of Granola

Facebook doesn't post notes anymore and it seems an odd thing to post a granola recipe as your status update.  So, for the hungry for breakfast masses, I give you my granola recipe that has been tweaked from a thousand different websites and cookbooks. Every woman needs her own personalized granola recipe. 

7 Cups of Oats (not the quick cook)
1 1/2 C grated coconut (i don't use the sweetened kind)
1 C of Nuts - I find myself using almonds alot, but its nice sometimes if I can get my hands on 1/2 C of pecans or walnuts
1/2C  of sunflower seeds if I can get my hands on them
at least 2 tsps of cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp of salt- i'm not good at measuring this but its a less is more kind of thing
Now let your kids stir toss together with whatever instrument is available, sometimes spoons, sometimes hands, sometimes ice cream scoops. 

Now in a small pot
1/2 C of honey- real honey
1/3 C palm sugar- in United States maybe you have to use dark brown sugar
1/3 C coconut oil
Boil this together for a few minutes. 

Now mom takes over stirring wet into dry and tosssing well as you go so as to distribute the sweetness.  Have the kid oil a 13/9 glass pan and mom turn the oven to something like 325.  Mom puts the granola in the pan and into the oven and mom walks away.  This is tricky because now mom needs to go and help a kid in the bathroom and fuss at the oldest for fussing at the youngest.  The youngest starts washing the dishes and mom needs to step in but then you remember you didn't brush your teeth and then the kids want to paint the teapot and you get out the teapot from the top shelf and set up the paints and the kids have aprons and newspapers and the painting is going well and you smell the granola.  SHOOT I PUT THE GRANOLA IN!  Oh please don't let it be burnt those were the last of the pecans and they are so expensive.  I don't want to eat burnt pecan granola but I'm sure going to.  And you run to the oven with little regard for the children and paints. And pull the granola out and fluff it around only to find that the granola still needs 5 minutes.  You are not going to remember in 5 minutes.  So you turn the oven off, poke the granola back in the oven and think you'll come back for it.  You do come back for it.  After dinner is cleaned up.  And the granola is perfect.  I wouldn't recommend leaving the granola in over night, it tends to get a little soft then.  But still its nice.  So I guess what I'm saying is 325 for about 20 minutes, stir the granola about and put it back in the turned off oven. 

And if you're lucky the children are still arguing about their favorite colors of paint and haven't repainted the back porch. 

No comments: