Sunday, April 01, 2007

If you need me, I'll be standing under the door frame.

I grew up in the midwestern US and what that teaches you is that mother nature can be a fickle girl. You grow up with freak snow in March and hot january days followed by ice. Tornado watches and warnings are all the talk depending on the time of year. Indiana enjoys the only state in the union that can boast a tornado in every month of the year (that was true a few years ago, I don't know if it still is). Anyway talk of earthquakes and tsunamis are very other worldly. We don't tend to understand tidal changes and after shocks. All of that to say, I'm pretty ignorant and have some pretty illogical assumptions.

We've recently moved and now we are supposed to pay attention to things like earthquakes and the potential that has to set off volcanoes and tsunamis. I can't really get my head around it. At some point I've made the decision that volcanoes can only go off in the summer. Earthquakes don't really happen, people just think they feel them. And that whole wave thing is unpredictable. The nice people of the Solomon Island probably would beg to differ. They aren't talking about volcanoes but 10 feet of water from an earthquake driven wave? That sounds crazy but apparently happens.

We're all fine and unphased. I was just thinking that I don't know what to do for sure in an earthquake. I'm pretty sure the answer isn't to go in the basement or the bathtub. I hope that isn't the answer because I have neither. That whole stand in the doorframes thing sounds silly but that is all I know to do. Question is, which one?

No comments: