Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Zucchini Yeast Rolls/ bread

My friend Steph asked about this one and I find it to be rather a novel recipe myself. Oddly though Steph has no zucch to spare from her summer garden- makes you wonder how she can say she had a garden in the midwest if she doesn't have a freezer full.

Zucchini Yeast Rolls
adapted from Simply in Season

2 Cups summer squash (shredded)*
1 C Water
1/2 C Sugar
3 T oil
2 tsp salt
Combine in a saucepan and heat slowly until warm, stirring to blend (warm in microwave).

1 C bread flour**
1 C whole wheat bread flour
1/3 C dry milk powder
2 T active dry yeast
1/2 tsp mace (optional, I have no idea what this is)
Combine in a mixing bowl. Add liquid ingredients and beat well until smooth

1 3/4 -2 1/2 c bread flour

Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead 8-10 min until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turn to grease both sides, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until double. Punch down let rise again 10 minutes. Shape rolls, bread, or use for pizza dough.

Bake 350F /180C 20-30 minutes

* The Zucchini / summer squash can come out of the freezer for this and this last time I made it with 1 C Zucchini- didn't look close enough at the recipe:) The recipe says for squash (I'm guessing a firm/ winter squash) to cook and mash it then use 1 1/2 cups.

** I use all purpose with no problems. I find that this recipe takes every bit of 5C of flour though.

No comments: