Monday, November 30, 2009

Meal Plan

Trying to figure out what to do with leftover turkey. Its not that its a nuisance, its more of a problem of how special it is. We don't do turkey often - once a year- because starting price for a turkey is 30USD. That's kind of pricey. I have a nice box of it leftover but I've been trying to think of special recipes that we can't really make very often. We've had just thanksgiving leftovers a few times but i want to make sure I use every bit of it well. Presently I'm boiling down the carcass in the pressure cooker. Thinking of boiling it down a second time because i think there is still some goodness in there and my thought is that turkey broth will make white rice way more fun.

Monday noon: beans & rice and carrot (need to get rid of a jar of beans in the fridge and make something fast)
Tuesday noon: Turkey pot pie with leftover gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots
Wednesday noon: Gado-Gado, Rice cooked in turkey broth
Menu: personal size BBQ Turkey Pizza (per Jonathan's request)
Menu: Meat loaf patties, leftover mashed potatoes, leftover veg

Thinking that dinner menus will feature turkey, biscuits and gravy one night this week. And I want to put some turkey in the freezer.

I have a long list of leftovers that I'm working at knocking off too. I got out a box of freezer pickles for our local guests the other day. Pickles are familiar to them and people enjoyed them. The olives did not go over so well. But I love olives. I made one of the teachers try 1 olive (she had never had it before and it was in keeping with the spirit of the day) one of the funniest faces and strongest reactions i've ever seen on a person. It was just so immediate. She was a good sport about the whole thing but I think that will be it for her and olives. So I have a jar of olives to eat by myself- that is not a complaint, just probably not the best news for my blood pressure.

No comments: