Saturday, July 24, 2010

I don't know how to be an American parent and other insecurities

What really strikes me since coming back to the states is that I don't know how to be a parent of child in United States. @ has never really had many friends before. We've tried but somehow it just doesn't seem to work out. So this whole idea of @ going out to play with the boys up the way, I just don't know what to do. And honestly it isn't trying to over mother him, its really I don't want him to be in the way of the other mom. And he probably isn't but I don't want to be that mom that is always dumping my kid on someone else. They're welcome to play here but they always seem to wander there way up there. So that is kind of my thing. @'s really, all in all, for a 5/6 yr old boy, very trustworthy- and he isn't a gifted liar, his nature is honest so he's easy to see through. And the mom is a nice lady but I haven't had a chance to visit with her much so that she will know that I'm not that lady from some other place that is a moochy mom. How is non-moochy momness communicated in United States?

Actually I think that is the only thing I'm feeling insecure about at the moment.

1 comment:

Steph H. said...

I struggle with the same thing in our neighborhood . . . my youngest spends a lot of time down the street at his friend's house, and I'm always concerned that I'm dumping my kid on them, too. I've chatted with the mom and told her her son is always welcome to play at our house too. I just have to trust that if my son was being a bother, she would feel okay sending him home. (I have felt comfortable telling my boys' friends that it's time for them to go home.) Also, I feel that it makes life easier when my kids have a friend over to play if I've got things to do . . . the brothers don't fight and the kids stay busy. So maybe that's how the mother in your neighborhood feels too. See, look how much of an American mom you are already :)