Monday, October 17, 2005

Why I hate Byron Grimes

I hate Byron Grimes because he probably understands the relationship of Clark Kent/ Superman to Lex Luthor. I've been watching Smallville quite a bit these days. During Ramadan, OneTV is having Good vs. Evil nights, so I get a nightly dose of Dark Angel and Smallville. I didn't think I would really get into Smallville but boy oh boy are we in deep. Now the problem, I know the Lex is supposed to be a bad guy at some point, but at present he seems like a really good guy. He is clearly manipulative and there is something a little less than clean about him but all in all the guy is ok. Jonathan says that the writers of all of these different Superman spinoffs have taken some liberty with it but that he remember Lex as a bad guy too. Neither of us knows how he becomes a bad guy. He and Clark are pretty good friends.

So I need some help. I'm guessing that the original author of "Why I hate Byron Grimes?" could help us out. I'm guessing that John, Jake, Aaron, Ange, Ken, Jessica, or maybe even Gretchen could help out with this.

Ok now Jonathan is giving me something about how Lex is Nihilistic (which I can spell but don't know what it means) . How Lex is intrigued by Clark. I need a bit more than that. I need the how of becoming a super villan. Is Lex Luthor a Super Villan? Not the nice guy I know from Smallville.

So a little help please.

3 comments:

shawanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shawanda said...

I know I am not included in the list of possible enlighteners, but John and I are totally addicted to Smallville. Also, I have John and Ken tell me things about characters like Superman, Batman, my favorite X-Men, etc. Though I can't get into comic books because of the writing style, I love the whole superhero universe(s).

Anyway, I was wondering what season of Smallville the two of you were on? I don't want to tell you anything because things definitely get more clear as the seasons progress. The show does such an awesome job with character development. And there is definitely a transformation happening with Lex (as of the current season #5). According to DC comic history, Lex and Clark were close friends though I am not sure for how long. Also, Lex does not know that Superman is the boy he befriended during his days in Smallville.

So though the show has taken some liberties, it doesn’t seem as if they have strayed too far from the comic book storyline. I know that Ken doesn’t blog, but he would definitely be the person who could fill in all the gaps. He and John even read comics surrounding alternate universes where the storylines get a little more creative. So he’d have a lot more stories and background info to tell.

Hope this helped.

shawanda said...

Not to seem like a nerd or anything (or completely take over your blog comments), here is a link I found after writing my previous comment. It's the Wikipedia information on Lex and the many storylines he has had in comics through the years. Interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor