Friday, August 24, 2007

a little help

2 things I'm needing a little help with. We've been talking in language this week about the responsibilities kids have around the house to help parents. Kids here aren't expected to do much honestly. What do you expect your kids to do around the house to help? What do they do when they get home from school? What age did you expect the kids to help out?

Second, does anybody have the ability to somehow record the Oprah show onto a DVD and send it to me? My sister is a Hurricane Katrina survivor. She and her husband are going to be on the show remembering the 2 yr. anniversary. Not sure yet if they are going to be on the show or just in the audience but they've been interviewed by the show's coordinators. We don't have a tv and I don't know that Oprah is on the air here. I'd really love to see the program. Jenn and Will have been working super hard to help New Orleans get back on her feet and it some ways its a real uphill battle. So much depends on tourism and the need is huge. They have been very fortunate in a lot of ways but its been hard. So if anyway knows of a way to put Oprah on dvd, I'd really appreciate it.

4 comments:

Steph H. said...

Funny . . . as I write this, my kids are upstairs cleaning their rooms as I wait for the timer to go off . . . meaning it's time for me to go check their work. My boys, 7yrs. and 3rs., both clean their rooms, clear their plates after meals, and put their laundry away after i clean and fold it for them. Those are the "regular" chores they do, they may be asked to help out in other ways too, like picking up sticks and walnuts from our back yard. (They've tried their hands at washing dishes . . . but that produces more work for me in the end.)

What date does the Oprah show air that you need taped. I cannot tape to DVD, but I may be able to find someone else who could.

Tina said...

So glad to read about you. Not sure I can help you on the Oprah thing, but I know I can burn movies we already own to DVD - any interest in some of those?

And happiest of birthdays to @.

-Tina

Gretchen Magruder said...

yeah, we don't pick up Oprah with our bunny ears...I'll ask around to see if someone can do it...

Like steph, we're trying to develop some habits of making beds, putting away clothes, and clearing the table. Often, when we make our Saturday morning cleaning list, I make a list of 3 or 4 kid jobs that they can choose from, like pulling weeds (must clearly train, however), or washing baseboards...

beegracious said...

W already helps me feed the dog and put clean silverware away and he's not yet 2. He thinks these are fun activities so I'm sure when they become "chores" he won't be so interested in them.