Sunday, September 21, 2008

out of the kitchen

I think I've posted before that we have a lemon tree that is out of control. I've picked gobs of lemons and there are still new blooms and new lemons on the tree. We've had lemon bars, lemon bread, lemon muffins, lemonade, mint lemon tea, and now lemon ice. Lemon Ice came from an online search in desperation to find what to do with so many lemons. Sadly this recipe only calls for 2 lemons and really doesn't need any more than that. I need something that really requires the juice of 20 lemons.

Yesterday I posted about my Mrs. Field's Cookie Book. Its extraordinary. Jonathan has never been such a fan of oatmeal raisin cookies. I suspect it isn't so different than any other oatmeal cookie recipe except for the two important steps I've found Mrs. Field uses, lower temperature and a mixer.
Oatmel Raisin Chews
2 1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C quick oats
1 C dark brown sugar (I used red sugar)
1/2 C white sugar
1 C Butter (I used unsalted- 227g)
2 Tbsp honey (this makes a difference)
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 C raisins
1/2 C walnuts (i don't have those here)

Mix together dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in separate larger bowl. Use a mixer to combine dry into wet. Bake at 300 F (Gas Mark 2, 150C) for 20-24 min. I took one batch out at 17 but they aren't going to burn at that nice low temp.

No comments: