Saturday, September 20, 2008

Mrs. Fields Cookies

No, we don't have a Mrs. Field's outlet here but my house may become one.

Jonathan and I went on a date to the used bookstore the other day. He's been wanting to get back without the company of @ so we went on a date while @ was in school. Jon found a few more things to use for school and I found a Vegetarian Cookbook- which so far is very unimpressive. On a whim I asked Jon if I need Mrs. Fields Cookie Book, he said "of course!" So I picked it up. I don't have a ton of recipes in the way of decadent desserts- you're surely surprised by that after you know that I cook from a cookbook called More With Less. Frugal people sometimes don't have the most crazy decadent desserts on the planet.

I started by flipping through Mrs Fields and there are alot of old favorites. Chocolate Chips Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin, Peanut Butter. But she's played around with some other things and come up with some winners I think. What I'm learning though are some techniques for cookie baking that really make things better/ easier:

- Mrs. Field bakes all cookies at 300, not the normal 350- 375 that most recipes call for. She also bakes for 20 minutes-you already see the trade-off. Cook long and low, Cook fast and hot. I've ran into more trouble with fast and hot over the years, you have to be quick on the draw to get them out of the oven. Long and Low and I can do some other things and not watch my timer quite so close.

- She mixes all of her cookies with a hand mixer. Why have I never done this? Since having @ i don't have tons of strength and stamina in my forearm/ wrist. I really can't stir cookie dough anymore without paying a heavy price. Use the mixer! It was the most genius thing I've ever heard of and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't come up with it on my own.

- She bakes with salted butter. Now I think using butter is a splendid idea but using salted butter is downright reckless. Like my American veins and arteries need that. Still she's right, shortening is a no-no.

I'm having fun though with my new cookbook. Its fun to start collecting recipes again. I've had so many different ones over the years but Mrs. Fields is a class act.

1 comment:

Gretchen Magruder said...

yay for decadent desserts!! When you find a favorite, I hope you'll post the recipe!!