Thursday, October 02, 2008

Sweet Potato Quesadillas

Because you asked and we're here to serve

Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Mince
1 1/2 C Onions
2 Clvs Garlic
Saute in frypan in 1TBSP oil until onions are translucent

Add:
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp basil, marjoram, chili powder,
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
pinch of ground red pepper/ to taste
Cook with onions a minute or two

Add
4 C sweet potatos (cooked and mashed)
Add and heat through, frequently stirring to keep from getting too sticky.
** I added about a 1/3 C water because the potatoes were just too sticky.

Now make your quesadillas. I just made them with cheese the first time. Served with salsa and french dressing. Jonathan liked them without anything and I like them with salsa.

The recipe mentions that you can use shredded raw sweet potatoes sauteed with the onions and garlic until soft. I had the oven going a few days before and put the sweet potatoes in to bake while the oven was hot. But if you don't get a chance to plan ahead like that try the raw potato route. This is a quick recipe otherwise and VERY FILLING. Jonathan and I each ate 1 and were stuffed.

This is from Simply in Season a World Community Cookbook from the Mennonite Central Committee. If you are trying to eat more locally and seasonally, this is the cookbook for you. The website is improving all of the time and its a great resource for fruit & vegetable nutritional values. They also have a recipe of the week newsletter. Buy this Cookbook, do it for yourself.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Mmmm... that actually sounds quite tasty. I don't have any basil or marjoram, but a little Italian seasoning might do the trick... French dressing and salsa is out, as well (unless I get seriously motivated to make my own!), but I think it just might work with what I can get here! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

My neighbor used to have the Simply in Season cookbook, and I borrowed it once in a while. But she's moved away now - I really should have written down more of those recipes before she left!