Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maple Grilled Tempeh

Hey, they liked it! They really liked it! Jonathan liked it enough that he said I should post the recipe and, just to clarify, Jonathan isn't exactly Mr. Tempeh. He's from the midwest and we're not tempeh eaters by upbringing. My mom wasn't so sure about it when I served it to her. And we're from the midwest (my guess is you are too), and we SHOULD eat tempeh. It grows in your backyard, at least it does in your neighbors. And that means cheap protein. Fine, drive your car on the stuff and make it into cooking oil but the smart thing to do would be to eat it. Ironically I suspect if you found tempeh in your grocery, you would fine that the price was a bit on the high side. I really can't tell you why that is. But I know that its got excellent nutrition value.

So I give you a rough sketch of Maple Grilled Tempeh from 101 Cookbooks. I downscaled from putting the mushrooms and the flowers and what not that they used to make it really pretty. Here's what I did:

3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1tsp Rice Vinegar (I used Apple Cider Vinegar)
some shakes of red pepper
Marinade that with enough tempeh slices or cubes. Then put it on your electric griller or bake it for a little bit.

I used the remainder of the marinade for some stirfry veg. Cut up your veg. Throw the hard ones in first, put a spoon of marinade on top while they cook. With each veg you throw in, throw in a spoon of marinade. Serve the stirfry, tempeh over rice. Quick meal, and pretty good for you.

Next I'm trying Orange Panfried Tempeh. With mostly likely a similar treatment as the maple grilled tempeh.

No comments: