Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sidewalks and obesity


I've written a few times about my passion for a nice sidewalk and today I saw this article over at MSNBC. The article "Heavy? Your Neighborhood May be to Blame" caught my eye because it sounded like a cop out to blame something else but it seems research agrees: live in sprawling suburbia= driving everywhere= people who don't walk. Suburbia has sidewalks but they don't go to the drugstore, they don't get you to the bank and they don't get you to work or school (normally, some suburbs are better than others). Live in town, in an old neighborhood, you probably have walking access to the bank, school, work etc, if some city planner didn't give up the sidewalk to widen the road.

So go to your city planner and demand sidewalks that go places. Sidewalks in good repair. Sidewalks that are uncluttered.

This fellow is selling licence plates on the sidewalk. Yeah, its illegal to drive with fake plates but apparently not illegal to sell them. That is how my sidewalk is being used.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have totally noticed this in our neighborhood (which actually has no sidewalks). In fact I think the entire city seems to be against walking to the Tropical snow approx. 1/4 mile from our house. Dairy Queen is also about 1/4 mile away. I mean, come on, if you are going to indulge you may as well undo the damage on your way to and from the place ... am I right?!